Resources in SAP Business One are an important building block and are used in the production and project management modules. Among other things, they are relevant for cost and time management. Indirectly, resources also have an influence on Material Requirements Planning (MRP).
Resources can be goods, machines or labour used for the production of products and services. Essential data is carried along with them:
- General information such as the name of the resource, the use over a barcode or the simultaneous status as an asset.
- Information with reference to the dimension of time. That is, when and for how many time units the resource is available.
- Data on the costs associated with a resource.
Use of resources in SAP Business One
Resources are found as an extra menu item in SAP Business One, but their application should be seen in the context of other modules or functions:
- the production of SAP B1 sets the resources as components in BOMs in. In addition to an article and operations, the required resource can always be anchored there.
- Project management utilises resources by using them in a Production order within a project. In this way, throughput times can be displayed, costs calculated and work orders planned.
- the Material Requirements Planning we are influenced by the time factor. On the one hand, the availability of items in the production process depends on the availability of the associated resources. On the other hand, a reservation of the resource takes place through material requirements planning.
Resource master data in SAP Business One
- First, one defines the basics in the resource master data, such as the name, resource type and group, units of measure, expenditure methods, etc.
Here you can also add up to 10 costs. The total costs are made up of these.
- In the capacity data, an overview of capacities of the selected resources is presented.
- The basis for calculating the capacities of the resources is stored in the planning data.
- In another tab, the resource can be linked to an asset.
- As with the business partner and item master records, one can use the tabs Properties, Attachments and Remarks for the resource master data.
- Employees can be linked to the resource if the resource type is "work".
Processing the capacities
The data displayed for the capacity comes from the Planning Data tab of the
Resource master data. These can be manually adjusted under the separate menu item Resource capacity. This is an easy way to make quick changes, e.g. for holidays or machine maintenance.